Alamo City Motorplex General Rules:

Does Alamo City Motorplex make the safety rules? “NO”

The National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) establishes THESE rules for every type of vehicle that can run down the quarter-mile.
ALL NHRA member tracks must follow these safety guidelines. Each year, a new NHRA Rulebook is published with revisions and updates.
Rulebooks are available at the track for $10, and are highly recommended for anyone who is interested in participating more frequently or building a car.

I have a street car. What do I need to come out and test or race?
The basic items needed to pass tech inspection for the typical street car include good tires, a battery tie-down, radiator overflow catch-can, operable neutral-safety switch, seat belts, and a valid state driver’s license or NHRA competition license is required for all participants. Don’t forget to wear long pants, shoes, and a shirt!

What do I need to race my street bike?
Again, a valid state driver’s license or NHRA competition license is required. NHRA approved helmet, denim or heavier pants, a leather jacket, leather gloves, and leather shoes that rise above the ankle. If the bike runs quicker than 10.99 or faster than 120 mph, additional requirements apply.

Do I need a helmet?
A helmet is one of the first safety items that you may need to purchase. Any vehicle that runs faster than 13.99 seconds, and all motorcycles and dune buggy-type cars, must have an approved helmet. Helmets must have a SNELL rating of 2010 or 2015, as well as those with an SFI rating of 31.1A, 31.2A, 41.1A, or 41.2A. (SNELL 2005 helmets expired on 1/1/2017 and SNELL 2010 helmets expire on 1/1/2022).

How do I know if my helmet is expired?
If you pull back the padding and material on the inside of your helmet, there should be a sticker on the inside with a date on it. Typically the sticker is an orange, yellow, or brown color. The sticker is placed in different places such as the back or on either side depending on the brand. If your helmet has a sticker that says M2000, M2005, SA2000, or SA2005 your helmet is expired and will NOT pass tech. Helmets are available to rent at the Coors Light Tech Building should a racer need to borrow one for an event. (SNELL 2005 helmets expire on 1/1/2017 and SNELL 2010 helmets expire on 1/1/2022). If your helmet says DOT, this does not mean anything and will NOT pass tech.

Can I use nitrous oxide?
NHRA allows the use of nitrous oxide in bracket classes. Check the track’s specific class rules to be certain, but in most cases you can use nitrous. Nitrous bottles must be vented to outside the driver compartment if it is mounted in the same compartment as the driver. All bottles must be stamped with a DOT – 1800 pound rating.

What are some of the major safety items I will need as I go quicker?

The following is a list of major items that are required at specific ET’s and speeds. This list is a guideline, and we recommend consulting a current NHRA rulebook for specific details, specifications, and diagrams.

13.99 seconds (8.59 1/8th)
Drive Line Loop with slicks
Approved helmet (Full face in open cars)
SFI 3.2A/1 Jacket in vehicles equipped with non-OEM nitrous oxide, turbochargers or superchargers

13.49 seconds (8.25 1/8th)
Roll bar in convertibles
SFI seat belts in convertibles

11.99 seconds (7.49 1/8th)
Steel Valve Stems
Arm Restraints (open cars)

11.49 seconds (7.35 1/8th)
SFI 1.1 or 1.2 Flywheel / Clutch
SFI 6.1, 6.2, 6.3 or 9.1 Flywheel shield
SFI 3.2A/1 approved jacket
Roll bar
SFI approved seat belts
Drive Line Loop with street tires
Full Leathers on M/C, ATV and Snowmobile @ 120 MPH

10.99 seconds (6.99 1/8th)
SFI 4.1 Transmission Shield, or at 135 mph
Locking transmission dipstick tube
Aftermarket axles and axle retainers
SFI Harmonic Balancer
Roll Cage with altered floor pans, or 135 mph – Window net required
Ignition cut-off on all bikes / snowmobiles that exceed 135 mph

9.99 seconds (6.39 1/8th) or 135 mph
NHRA Chassis Certification
NHRA Competition License
SFI jacket & pants 3.2A/5
SFI neck collar & gloves 3.3/1
SFI 29.1 flexplate / 30.1 flexplate shield (AT equipped cars)
Full Face Helmet meeting Snell or SFI specifications
150 mph

NHRA Competition License and Membership Fees:

NHRA License & Number; First Category (Level 2,3,4) [2-Year $240]
​Level 2 – NHRA Medical Required, License Runs Required
​Level 3 – NHRA Medical Required, License Runs Required
​Level 4 – No Medical Required, License Runs Required in SC and SG
NHRA License & Number; First Category (Level 5) [2-Years $210] [1 Year- $120]
​Level 5 – No Medical Required, State Driver’s License or License Runes Required

Level 6 NHRA License & Number, First Category [2-Year $240.00] [1-Year $150]
​Level 6 – (1/4 = 7.50-9.99) (1/8= 4.50 – 6.39) License Runs Required, No Medical Required
Level 7 NHRA License & Number, First Category [2-Year $210.00] [1-Year $120]
​Level 7 – (10.00 & Slower) (6.40 & Slower) State Drivers License or License Runs Required
Chassis Cert $170

Transfer License Requirements
Complete Sections 1-3. r Section 4: Fill in runs #5 & #6 with two (2) full-pass time slips in class for which you seek a license ü Runs must be within the past 12 months at any facility or event. Side-by-side time trials or elimination time slips are accepted. ü Validation signatures from one (1) NHRA licensed driver & 1 (one) NHRA Official or NHRA Member Track Authorized Official. **If unable to obtain NHRA licensed drivers’ signature, contact your respective division office staff prior to submitting application. ü Full runs must be representative performance of the category applying for. License applicants must complete the two full runs at or better than the requested classes minimum elapsed-time and mph standard. New drivers in Level 1 or 2 may be asked to make one or two additional single qualifying runs at an NHRA Championship type event before entering competition. ü Copy of current competition license from alternate sanctioning organization. r After passing the driver test; the applicant will complete the license application form in full then mail it with original physical examination (physical only required for License Levels 1-3) form, copy of current accepted organization’s competition license and original time slips and form of payment to NHRA for processing

More info: